This strawberry mousse is the perfect dessert: light, airy, has almost no sugar and it can be made into strawberry ice-cream. Ready in 30 minutes.
This is an easy strawberry mousse recipe: you only need 4 ingredients and 30 minutes of your time to make this fabulous dessert. And as a bonus you can turn it into strawberry ice cream! I love this strawberry mousse because its fresh, airy and it means summer is around the corner.
How to make strawberry mousse?
This easy strawberry mousse recipe only has 2 main components:
- Whipped cream
- A kind of strawberry custard: the same technique and procedure that is used to make custard where milk is replaced by strawberry puree.
First you need to whip the cream and keep it covered in the refrigerator.
Secondly, we make the strawberry custard:
Blend the strawberries (fresh or frozen) to make a puree and over a medium heat bring the strawberry puree to a boil. In the meantime, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar.
Pour half of the boiling strawberry puree onto the egg yolk/sugar mixture and whisk to combine. Pour this mixture back onto the pot with the remaining ½ of the strawberry puree and cook over medium heat (always stirring with a spatula, or plastic spoon) until it has thickened (83/85 degrees Celsius/ 182 F). You should be able to coat the back of a spoon with it.
Whisk at medium speed until the strawberry mixture has completely cooled off and gained in volume. It should be dense and lighter in colour.
Finally, fold in the whipped cream, gently and lovingly. And voila, your mousse is ready.
How to pasteurize eggs at home to make strawberry mousse?
To pasteurize eggs at home you should:
- First put them for 1 minute in boiling water.
- Then transfer immediately to ice cold water for 1 minute.
How to make strawberry mousse cake filling?
You can use this strawberry mousse recipe as a cake filling. If you want to make it a little firmer you can add gelatine. Here is how you should do this:
- Dissolve 7 g of powdered gelatine in 10 ml of warm water. Or hydrate 2 leaves of gelatine in ice cold water.
- Add the gelatine to the strawberry/egg yolk mixture while still hot.
- Whisk until it has cooled down and gained in volume.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
Freezing Strawberry Mousse
If you freeze strawberry mousse you will end up with a delicious no churn homemade strawberry ice cream. If you choose to transform the mousse into strawberry ice cream, here are a few tips you might want to follow:
- Make sure to add in some fresh strawberries before freezing. Fold them in gently.
- Wrap the container twice in plastic wrap and then transfer to freezer bag. If you use a container that has a lid it would be great. This will help minimize crystallization.
- Let the strawberry ice cream sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
How to serve strawberry mousse?
Strawberry mousse must be served cold. It must chill for at least 12 hours.
You can serve this strawberry mousse topped with fresh strawberries. You can add some toasted almonds or meringues to add some crunch to this strawberry mousse recipe.
The ingredients used in all recipes on this site are measured using the metric system. I use a scale
to be precise with my measurements and ensure good results. If you would also like to use a scale, here are some: USA
Subscribe to the newsletter
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
Nutrition: 89 cal
- 1. Cut the strawberries and blend to obtain a puree.
- 2. Whip the cream and store in the fridge.
- 3. In a pot over a medium heat bring the strawberry puree to a boil.
- 4. In the meantime, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar.
- 5. Pour half of the boiling strawberry puree onto the egg yolk/sugar mixture and whisk to combine.
- 6. Pour this mixture back onto the pot with the remaining ½ of the strawberry puree and cook over medium heat (always stirring with a spatula, or plastic spoon) until it has thickened (83/85 degrees Celsius/182 F). You should be able to coat the back of a spoon with it.
- 7. Transfer to the bowl of your stand mixer and whisk at medium speed until the strawberry mixture has completely cooled off and gained in volume.
- 8. Fold in the whipped cream.
- 9. Transfer to the containers where you will be serving the strawberry mousse (individual ramekins, glasses or one big serving bowl).
- 10. Refrigerate overnight.
- 11. Top with fresh strawberries just before serving.
If you made this recipe I would really appreciate it if you leave a rating or comment below! Also, if you share on social media please use #cookwithbelula, I would love to see what you create!