Puff Pastry Apple Tart
An easy to put together apple tart made with a puff pastry base, filled with vanilla scented apple compote, apples and topped salted caramel sauce.
This version of the classic French puff pastry apple tart or "tarte fine aux pommes" is so easy and delicious you will not believe it. The perfect dessert to impress your guests: they will love you forever. A flaky crust that melts in your mouth, filled with homemade apple vanilla compote, fresh apples and finished off with salted caramel sauce. You cannot go wrong. A scoop of vanilla ice cream to serve is recommended 😊.
What do you need to make this puff pastry apple tart recipe?
This recipe calls for 4 main components:
- Puff pastry: you can either do it yourself or use a store-bought kind. For this recipe I used a store-bought puff pastry. If you feel like adventurous and want to make your own, you can find a recipe here Professional Baker's Best Puff Pastry Recipe.
- Apple compote: recipe follows. If you do not feel like making your own, you can buy your favorite one. I recommend you give it a shot as it is extremely easy to make.
- Apples: choose a kind that has low content of water like Golden or Elstar.
- Salted caramel sauce: recipe follows.
How to make this apple compote recipe?
This is the easiest apple compote you will ever make. And the most delicious.
You need to:
- Peel and slice the apples into small cubes
- Transfer to a pan and add a scraped vanilla bean
- Cover with a piece of parchment paper
- Let it cook over medium-low until the apples are tender
- Puree the apples, transfer to a container, cover and refrigerate
How to make caramel sauce?
To make this salted caramel sauce you will need to weight out and have ready all the ingredients separately. It goes fast, you need to be prepared, that is the key to success. That and to make sure to divide the heavy cream in 2 separate containers, as one half will be added to the caramel hot, and the other half will be added to the caramel cold.
Also, prepare a cold-water bath with a clean bowl on top. You will use this to bring the temperature of the caramel down fast. This way the cooking stops and you can obtain the right consistency for the caramel sauce.
To make the salted caramel sauce you must:
- Make a caramel using the water and the sugar.
- Once the caramel starts fuming and the bubbles become smaller pour in the HOT cream whisking at the same time. Add the salt. Make sure to use a big pot because when you add the hot cream it risks of overflowing!
- Remove from heat and let the caramel sit until the bubbles have subsided.
- Whisk in the remaining COLD cream.
- Strain the caramel over a the clean bowl (the one you have already prepared over a cold-water bath 😉) and let it cool down.
How to make apple tart with puff pastry?
Once you have all your components ready, it is an easy task. Just the assembly of all the elements.
- First cut the puff pastry in rectangles a little wider than the apples you have picked for this tart. Length wise they are 10 cm. Cover and refrigerate.
- Half the apples and remove the center. Slice as thinly as you can. With or without peal, up to you. Add some lemon juice to the apples to prevent them from browning. Set aside.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and dispose the puff pastry rectangles on it.
- Add one dollop of apple compote at the center. Top with half a sliced apple and press gently down.
- Brush with melted butter. Be generous! And sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 200 C° until golden.
- As soon as they are out of the oven brush with syrup. Be generous!
- Drizzle with salted caramel sauce to serve.
How do you keep the bottom of puff pastry from getting soggy?
Aha! This is the key to having delicious puff pastry apple tarts. Soggy not good. To prevent this from happening, simply:
- Brush the base of each puff pastry rectangle with softened butter
- Sprinkle with sugar
- Turn them around and proceed with the feeling!
Variations for this easy apple dessert
You can replace the apple compote by apricot jam!
You can use regular sable dough if you cannot find puff pastry. Here is a good recipe Shortbread Crust. If you do, make sure to roll it our real thin.
You can make this apple dessert gluten free by making this Gluten-Free Puff Pastry, With Cannelle et Vanille’s Aran Goyoaga by Aran Goyoaga.
If you made this recipe I would really appreciate it if you leave a rating or comment below! Also, if you share on social media please use #cookwithbelula, I would love to see what you create!
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
Nutrition: 865 cal
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1. Peel and slice the apples into small cubes. Transfer to a pan and add a scraped vanilla bean.
- 2. Cover with a piece of parchment paper and let it cook over medium-low until the apples are tender.
- 3. Puree the apples, transfer to a container, cover and refrigerate.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1. Make a caramel using the water and the sugar.
- 2. Once the caramel starts fuming and the bubbles become smaller pour in the HOT cream whisking at the same time. Add the salt.
- 3. Remove from heat and let the caramel sit until the bubbles have subsided.
- 4. Whisk in the remaining COLD cream.
- 5. Strain the caramel over a clean bowl placed over a cold-water bath and let it cool down.
- 1. Pre-heat to oven to 200 C° and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- 2. Cut the puff pastry into rectangles a little wider than the apples you have picked for this tart. Cover and refrigerate.
- 3. Half the apples and remove the center. Slice as thinly as you can. With or without peal, up to you. Add some lemon juice to the apples to prevent them from browning. Set aside.
- 4. Brush the base of each puff pastry rectangle with softened butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- 5. Turn over onto the lined baking tray.
- 6. Add one dollop of apple compote at the center.
- 7. Top with half a sliced apple and press gently down.
- 8. Brush with melted butter. Be generous! And sprinkle with sugar.
- 9. Bake until golden.
- 10. While the tarts are in the oven make a light syrup (equal amounts of sugar and water) with the remaining sugar: place the sugar and the water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 11. Using a brush coat the apple tarts with the syrup as soon as they are out if the oven.
- 12. Drizzle with salted caramel sauce to serve.