Strawberry Roll Cake
A fluffy and airy roll cake filled with strawberry Chantilly cream and fresh strawberries. You can replace the strawberries for any other berry.
Roll cake is something we use to have growing up, obviously filled with dulce de leche. When I moved to France I learned you can actually fill your cakes with things other than dulce de leche. So, to celebrate summer I decided to make this strawberry roll cake that according to my husband (who might be a little biased) it's one of the best he's had to date! You should make it soon.
What ingredients will you need to make this strawberry roll cake?
- Whipping cream
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Strawberry jam
- Vanilla bean or vanilla extract
How to make a roll cake?
To make roll cake you need to put together three components:
- Eggs/egg yolks/ sugar mixture: beat at medium speed, for about 10 minutes until it gas gained in volume and its color has changed to a pale yellow.
- Beaten egg whites: this should take about 10 minutes. They should be room temperature. Begin to whisk the egg whites with 1/10 of the sugar at low speed and gradually up the velocity. Once they are foamy and there are no bubbles left at the sides of the bowl add the rest of the sugar and whisk at maximum speed for about a minute. This is when the egg whites will gain in volume and become shinny.
- The flour. Sifted.
To properly do the mixture of the roll cake:
- Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the eggs/egg yolk/sugar mixture to loosen it up a bit. The idea when you are mixing the 2 things is to try and have similar textures.
- Fold in the rest of the egg whites delicately.
- Finally fold in the flour. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl, it tends to go there because its heavier.
That is it. Now you are ready to bake it.
How to roll a cake without cracking it?
The most important thing to do to prevent cracks when rolling your cake is unmould immediately after removing from the oven onto an oiled piece of parchment paper. And keep covered until you are ready to roll.
If you will not roll the cake immediately, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Let it sit at room temperature for a bit before assembling the cake you put it in the fridge.
You can watch how do this here How to make a fluffy and delicious swiss roll cake.
Freezing Roll Cake
You can freeze this cake once it has been baked and cooled. Make sure to double wrap in plastic wrap and put it on a tray to freeze so it will not break in the freezer.
To defrost, let it sit at room temperature for about 2 hours before rolling the cake.
How to make strawberry Chantilly Cream?
First you need to make a regular Chantilly cream. To make this Chantilly cream recipe you must follow this rule of gold:
- General rule is whipping cream + 10% of cream weight of powdered sugar + vanilla bean.
- Whipped to until it forms soft peaks.
- Chantilly cream needs to be refrigerated always. If not using right away keep in the fridge. It cannot be frozen.
Once you have this, fold in the cream cheese and the strawberry jam.
You can use store bought jam or if you feel like making your own, here is a recipe I like Strawberry jam.
You could also replace the strawberry jam by this raspberry jam I use in this filled doughnut recipe! Raspberry Doughnuts. So good!
Assembling the Cake
- Trim de edges with a serrated knife.
- Spread the Chantilly cream evenly leaving 2 cm from the shorter edge without cream.
- Add the strawberries and gently press them down.
- Roll the strawberry cake.
- Refrigerate covered in plastic wrap or parchment paper for minimum 2 hours.
Variations for the Strawberry Roll Cake
You can replace the strawberries in this roll cake for any other berry, or you can even make one with mixed berries. The more the merrier.
You can also add a thin layer of dulce de leche before adding the strawberry Chantilly cream. This is an exceptionally good idea! You can use store bought dulce de leche, no problem!
The ingredients used in all recipes on this site are measured using the metric system. I use a scale
to be precise with my measurements and ensure good results. If you would also like to use a scale, here are some: USA
Subscribe to the newsletter
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
Servings: 8 servings
Nutrition: 192 cal
Strawberry Chantilly Cream
Strawberry Chantilly Cream
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C°. Line a baking tray (30x40 cm) with parchment paper. Grease either with baking spray or butter.
- 2. Beat the eggs, egg yolk and sugar until it has gained in volume and changed to pale yellow color. About 10 minutes. Set aside.
- 3. Beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Add 1/10 of the 55g sugar and beat at low/medium speed. Once they are foamy add the rest of the sugar and beat at high speed for an extra minute.
- 4. Fold in the egg whites delicately into the sugar/egg mixture.
- 5. Fold in the flour. Make sure its properly incorporated to the batter.
- 6. Transfer the batter to the baking tray and spread it our evenly using an off-set spatula or the back of a spoon.
- 7. Bake until golden and set. About 15 minutes.
- 8. Remove from the oven and immediately remove the cake from the baking tray and place on a wire rack.
- 9. Turn over the roll cake onto a piece of oiled parchment paper the size of the cake. Delicately remove the parchment paper without breaking the cake. Cover with parchment paper. Let it cool down at room temperature.
Strawberry Chantilly Cream
- 1. Whip the cream, the scraped vanilla bean and the powdered until it forms soft peaks.
- 2. Soften the cream cheese and min into the whipped cream.
- 3. Mix in the strawberry jam.
- 1. Chop the strawberries in small cubes.
- 2. Trim the edges of the cake using a serrated knife.
- 3. Spread the strawberry Chantilly cream over the roll cake leaving 2 cm free of cream on the smaller side.
- 4. Evenly distribute the strawberries and using the palm of your hand gently press them down.
- 5. Turn the cake so that the shorter side is facing you.
- 6. Roll the cake gently and tightly using the parchment paper to help you.
- 7. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 1. Thinly slice the strawberries and cover the roll the cake with them. Press gently to make them stick to it.
- 2. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the strawberry jam and warm it up.
- 3. Using a brush paint the strawberries with the diluted jam.
If you made this recipe I would really appreciate it if you leave a rating or comment below! Also, if you share on social media please use #cookwithbelula, I would love to see what you create!